Re: No choice

Jay_Thomas@ustrustboston.com
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:38:06 -0400

Jay Thomas writes:

> Gotta love our esteemed elder statesman :-) Thank God *someone's*
watching
> out for the interests of *Americans* down there in D.C.
>
> "We had to vote for another reason as well:
> to make certain that the next administration will
> be left free to establish its own nuclear
> nonproliferation policies, unencumbered by the
> failed policies of its predecessor....

Of course, the "predecessor" he has in mind must not be the current
administration, but one of the prior Republican administrations
which negotiated the treaty...

rst

--- Actually, by "failed policies of its predecessor", Rob, I believe he
was actually talking about the so-called "foreign policy" of the Clinton
administration. If this treaty had been anything the Republicans had
wanted, or thought necessary for the good of this country, I doubt they
would have voted it down, nor would Clinton have worked himself into such a
frothing frenzy over the vote. Has anyone counted how many speeches he's
given in the last couple days, and how many times he's used the term
"isolationism"? Still in search of his "legacy", unwilling to admit it's
going to be "cheating on his wife with a pudgy intern".

Speaking of Clinton, and his legacy, sounds like the stress cracks are
starting to show:

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUNDAY, OCTOBER 17, 1999 23:07:22 ET XXXXX

CLINTON GOLFS ALONE IN RAIN, DARK

President Clinton played a full 18 holes of golf on Sunday evening -- all
by himself in the rain!

Clinton completed a full round in pitch dark at a deserted Army Navy
Country Club in Arlington,
Va., in a development one Clinton insider called: "odd."

"It was odd, it was strange," the Clinton insider, who has known the
president for more than 20
years, told the DRUDGE REPORT on Sunday evening.

"I'm worried. It sounds completely out of character. Maybe he is working
off stress, or he is
using golf as a form of therapy or prevention."

"He's promised Hillary no more cheating," said the Clinton insider. "Maybe
he felt urges -- and
went out to the golf course, rather than give in to those urges."

Secret Service agents and news media were given only minutes notice before
Clinton departed for
the club.

"He was playing in the pitch dark... he was swinging and wildly hitting
balls everywhere," one
pool reporter told an associate in the White House press room after the
trip.

[The press office would not release Clinton's golf score late Sunday
night.]