Re: nvidia.com GPUs

Steve Dossick (sdossick@cs.columbia.edu)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:00:52 -0400 (EDT)

The flip side of this is that their oem market is drying up. S3 bought
Diamond, which is the largest seller of nvidia-based boards. Safe bet is
that Diamond won't be selling a GeForce-based board when they release in a
couple weeks. STB was bought by 3dFX, now they don't sell nvidia boards.
The only major oems left are Asus (motherboard mfr) and Creative Labs.
Plus revenues from the bundled market (i.e. a dell or micron bundling
GeForce chips with their boxes) which can be pretty fickle (ask AMD).

That said, their boards kick serious ass. We have a pre-release GeForce
here (one of our profs has done some consulting for them) and it
outperforms the SGI Visual Workstation on my desk on a lot of tests.

-s