Re: Future Game Boy

Damian Morton (morton@dennisinter.com)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:53:51 -0400

Yup. Maybe we will be seeing a game-company led burst of development in =
the computer industry. Gameboys that talk to each other. Hmmm, Are these =
things more powerfull than a Palm Pilot. Theres a GameBoy emulator for =
Palm Pilot, will we see a Palm Pilot emulator for GameBoy 2?? Will =
Nintendo end up competeing with Nokia???

Can anyone imagine running win98 in an x86 emulator on a sony =
playstation 2???

The thing that makes these games machines such strong contenders is the =
absolutely homogenous hardware they run on. When you write for =
playstation, it truly is write-once, run anywhere (assuming you never =
leave the warm embrace of your old chum, Sony). What scares me about =
companies like Sony and Nintendo, is that they are even more =
monopolistic than Microsoft could ever hope to be.

Games machines are trojan horses or virii. A number of years ago, there =
was an extremely well thought out ad-campaign by an Australian milk =
Monopoly. The strategy was to target kids, because once they acquired =
the milk habit, they were hooked for life (hmm ... 'mother-as-pusher' =
motif flits by). Anyway, every kid has to have one of these machines - =
theres really no option. So we have the games machine becoming a =
'must-have', like a VCR or fridge, at the same time as the games machine =
slowly increases its capabilities, it connections to the outside world, =
until one day ... bang - suddenly you have a household supercomputer =
connected to the phone, the tv, the cd-player and the dvd ... maybe even =
your plumbing. And all within the loving embrace of Sony, Nintendo, etc =
etc etc.

Now Sony, Nintendo, etc. etc. arent really open companies. Hell, if you =
want to try your hand at developing a playstation game, you need to show =
several million dollars in your wallet before they'll even talk to you. =
I suppose that fair enough. The problem arises when Sony controls =
absolutely what software will run on their potential home computing =
platform. At least Microsoft permits just about anyone to develop =
software for its OS.=20

----- Original Message -----=20