Re: Number ninteen

ThosStew@aol.com
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:48:34 EDT

In a message dated 9/9/1999 5:46:54 PM, gbolcer@endTECH.com writes:

>I have this 80's song going through my head: n-n-n-n-nineteen.
>
>> It's why we call it the Web: Any two randomly picked pages
>> on the World Wide Web are on average just 19 clicks away
>from
>> each other, researchers say. The findings, reported in
>today's
>> issue of the journal Nature, suggest that the Web is so
>> interconnected that any desired information is nearby
>even
>> though there are 800 million documents available. The
>key is
>> knowing which links to click.
>http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/breaking/merc/docs/008115.htm
>--

And I have this poem running through mine: "Now we are six" and I'm thinking
of John Guare's "Six Degrees of Separation" and of the purported fact that
any two people of the 6 billion on this planet are only 6 clicks away, if you
know the right people to click. And I think: The technical system is a third
of the way to matching the human system.

Tha should be the goal, right? Six clicks?

Tom Stewart