RE: James Polk gave candy to kids to come and see him....

Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 10:09:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Jim Whitehead wrote:

> Of course, appx. 50 years later we similarly go after the Spanish --
> "remember the Maine!" It strikes me that a common theme among the US wars
> of the 19th century, excepting the War of 1812, is racism. Civil War:
> white/black, Mexican and Spanish: white/hispanic. Of course, interspersed
> is the "racial cleansing" of the indiginous peoples of the US.

Talk about one of the more long standing protracted genocides is our
treatment of the folks who were here before us. I cant imagine what it
most have been like living in america under Andy jackson and the trail of
tears.

Then again, lots of things get swept aside in the name of manifest dstiny.
For little echos of this mindset look at the repub and dem conventions
during the presidential times.

"maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true
(run run weeeeeo)
baby then there wouldnt be a single thing we could'nt do" bw