Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:28:49 -0700
To: fork@xent.ICS.uci.edu
From: Tim Byars <tbyars@earthlink.net>
Subject: iMac Topped August Computer Sales

9/09/98; 4:07 p.m. ET)
By Mark Harrington, Computer Retail Week

Preliminary data from market research firm =
PC Data
indicates that
Apple's iMac took the No. 1 spot in retail =
computer
sales for August.

While final sales figures haven't been =
tallied, the
projection that iMac
was the top seller is notable, because the =
$1,200
Apple product
shipped on August 15, and reached the top =
ranking
with only 15 days
of sales.

Not only does the iMac appear to be =
August's No. 1
seller at retail, it
may break an all-time record for sales =
since PC Data
began tracking the
category, said PC hardware analyst Stephen =
Baker, in
an interview
with Computer Retail Week Wednesday.

"It's going to be close," Baker said. "The =
only
thing that comes close
is Compaq's Presario 4505's sales last =
Christmas."

The iMac began selling in mid-August at =
national
superstores Micro
Center and CompUSA, and through a limited =
network of
regional Mac
retailers. CompUSA has already reported =
that iMac
topped its list of
best computer-product sales for a single =
day ever.

Baker said iMac is likely to continue with =
strong
sales through
September. The true test for Apple (company
profile), he added, will
be how long it can sustain that momentum.

--

who amongst us hasn't run a large billion dollar a year monopoly? ...Tom Whore

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>