[Fwd: Anti-satellite test planned]

Jay Thomas (jpthomas@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:59:44 -0400

Along the same lines, from this mornings news. Hey, at least NASA got
the "faster" part right. Don't know about cheaper and better. Jay

Failed NASA satellite burns up

An out-of-control NASA earth observation satellite burned up in the
atmosphere Sunday, the
U.S. Space Command said. The Lewis spacecraft, which started tumbling
days after being
launched in August, crashed into the atmosphere at 17,000 mph and
burned up at 7:58 a.m. EDT
over the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Antarctica. The $65 million
Lewis mission was meant to
be a champion of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's
"cheaper, faster, better"
philosophy, but four days after launch it spun out of control and
communications were lost. For
story full story