Re: The Nature of Belief

Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 17:38:17 +0200 (MET DST)

Ron Resnick wrote:
>[...]
>At 11:10 PM 9/14/97 -0700, Ernie wrote:
>[...]
>>Further, I believe that the most logical explanation for both the
>>written record and the incredible transformation which swept the first
>>century Roman Empire was that:
>>- There was a man named Jesus who claimed to be the Jewish God

Really?!?! Did Jesus ever make such a claim? AFAIK he suggested that
he was the Messiah sent by God, but only f*cked up emperors like
Gaius Caligula actually claimed to be God.

For some reason Christians decided that Jesus was God, or half-Man
half-God, or a man adopted by God, or a man who became God when
baptised or a million other variations until Constantine told all the
bishops to make up their fricking minds and quit excommunicating each
other... so they put it to a vote and a majority came out in favour of
the diplomatic position that He was fully Man and fully God
simultaneously, plus other contradictions like the Trinity baloney.
Not that that stopped any arguments, at least until some later Council
made it blasphemy to argue any position other than the Nicene Creed.

-- R.