Re: Reichstag Fire and the October Raids (fwd)

Jay Thomas (jpthomas@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:55:37 -0400

Rohit Khare wrote:
SNIP=20
> We're at war.
>=20
> --Tim May
>=20
> There's something wrong when I'm a felon under an increasing number of =
laws.
> Only one response to the key grabbers is warranted: "Death to Tyrants!"
SNIP

There was a great article in todays Globe:
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe/globehtml/254/Tales_from_encryption.htm

It gives some good insight into everything thats going on, and makes a
few good points.
[Jay]

Tales from encryption=20

By Hiawatha Bray, Globe Staff, 09/11/97=20

Our government fears data-scrambling software
could spawn a
high-tech crime wave. How right they are. I may
end up in prison
myself if the feds continue their present course.=20

Mathematicians have devised encryption systems that
scramble data so
completely it's unreadable without a special key.
With today's cheap, fast
computers, anybody can use this technique to ensure
the secrecy of
computer files, electronic mail messages, even
digital telephone calls.=20

Everyone favors encryption for banks, credit card
companies, and
law-abiding citizens. Alas, the same software works
just as well for
terrorists, mobsters, and pedophiles. So the Clinton
administration is waging
a relentless campaign to stuff the genie back into
the bottle.=20
<SNIP>
This story ran on page D01 of the Boston Globe on
09/11/97.=20
=A9 Copyright 1997 Globe Newspaper Company.