Web of Trust, and Badges

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:19:56 -0700 (PDT)

Davidson Corry writes about the Web of Trust:
> Thanks for making this paper available. It stimulates some very
> interesting thinking!

Rohit and I are glad both that you liked it and that it made you think.

> My one immediate comment is not apposite**. It is that the quote
> (from section 3.3):
> Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges!
> -- Blazing Saddles
> is, perhaps, mis-attributed. I don't remember Brooks sneaking it into
> "Blazing Saddles", although it would have been an appropriate homage.

It is definitely a homage to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. When
Hedley Lamarr is rounding up a group of scoundrels to destroy the town
of Rock Ridge, he gives two banditos some badges, which is when they
reply with the steenkin badges quote.

> The original quote is from John Huston's classic "The Treasure of the
> Sierra Madre", with Humphrey Bogart playing Fred C. Dobbs, and
> Alfonso Bedoya playing the bandit leader Gold Hat:
>
> Gold Hat: Oiga, senor. We are Federales. You know, the mounted police.
> Dobbs: If you're the police, where are your badges?
> Gold Hat: Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges.
> I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!
>
> (http://www.filmsite.org/trea.html)

Of course; however, this original spawned many homages and copies, my
favorite line of which is in Weird Al Yankovic's movie "UHF" for a mock
zoo television show they were doing...

Badgers??? We don't need no steenkin' badgers!

Anyway, we liked the "steenkin" better than we liked Gold Hat's wordier
version of the same thing, so we went with the Blazing Saddles reference
instead of the Treasure of the Sierra Madre reference.

> **or was this an object lesson not to trust everything you read on the
> Web??!! <grin>

Well, definitely don't trust everything you read on the Web.
But that sort of goes without saying...

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

In every revolution there is one man with a vision.
-- James T. Kirk, "Mirror, Mirror"