Re: probably an obvious retail/distribution question

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 11:24:42 PDT

Snip the r/w/b shoestrings into one thousand small pieces, and tape each
piece prominently on a telephone. Make advertising placards saying that
these are Patriotic Phones, as shown by their decoration and by the fact
that they respect your privacy by not ringing, as no doubt the Founding
Fathers would have preferred had there been telephones in those days.

Then take them to the San Jose Flea Market, and sell them for a dollar
apiece.

Alternatively, you could give the r/w/b shoestrings to a local
organization that works with troubled youth, and give the telephones to
charity. Phones that don't ring should be good for cutting down on the
number of incoming social calls, and can be used for telemarketing by
charitable causes (outbound dialing only).

Then again, there's always the Noble Cause of Artistic Endeavour. Using
the handsets from the phones in pairs to form open or close angle
brackets, construct an operative DTD declaration a la John Klassa.
Bonus points for having all the phones plugged into working lines, and
having practiced in advance. The actual product of the Artistic
Endeavour would be the busy-out beeps produced by the phones as they
were laid out, the time off-hook increasing as the sculpture
progressed. Record that and use it as scratch beats to mix an MP3 of
someone pronouncing a rot13'd version of the DeCSS song. Try to make
the raw off-hook recording four minutes and 33 seconds, for ironic
historical reasons.

Cheers,
_Strata

PS- tsk, tsk, posting questions having to do with commerce and
technology to FoRK!

"Joseph S. Barrera III" wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but
> I've got forty red white and blue shoe strings,
> and a thousand telephones that don't ring.
> Do you know where I can get rid of these things?
> Perhaps a roadside market of some sort?
>
> - Joe

Strata Rose Chalup [strata@knownow.com]   |  strata@virtual.net, KF6NBZ
Director of Network Operations            |       VirtualNet Consulting
KnowNow, Inc [http://www.knownow.com]     |      http://www.virtual.net/