Re: Boston in the Fall

From: Antoun Nabhan (antoun@arrayex.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 08:33:41 PDT

At 03:13 PM 9/26/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Whatever happened to "cutting out the middleman"? Every vehicle I've
>seen which was to empower that has just turned into another fertile
>feeding ground for middlemen. Monster.com Boston.com ebay.com
>what-have-you, in any high demand situation the middlemen crash your
>party unless you've got very strict controls... and even then they sneak
>in. What's to do?

We're having this problem from the recruiting end. (We: Arrayex, Inc., my
company. I'm not using the royal we!) The job boards are idiotically
difficult to sift, and one mention of our company in some two-bit local
industry rag last week resulted in a barrage of hawking phone calls from
recruiters (and benefits consultants, marketroids, and other
bill-by-the-hour barnacles).

Grrr...are any FoRKers in Research Triangle Park, or are ALL the kewl kids
(TM) still strapped alongside routes 128 and 101?

The best alternative I've found is to use the local universities to grow
the network. The problem with that, of course, is that it doesn't work all
that well for experienced people. If you *are* experienced people, it might
pay to stay in touch with professors you respect; they may hear things
through various grapevines.

Thanks for the bits, all...
Antoun Nabhan - Arrayex, Inc. * 617.901.8871 voice/page
"We will invent ways to enable freedom faster than tyrants can develop the
means to suppress them." - Eric Raymond