Re: The Waiting is the hardest part

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 16:31:35 PDT

Mark Day reasonably asks:
> Yeah, and if pigs had wings they could fly. ;-)
>
> Can someone explain to me how this free-info-sharing stuff scales?
> Everything I read about it has the breathless, technically-incoherent,
> borderline-loony quality I associate with perpetual-motion machines, cold
> fusion, and the like.
>
> Is there some really awesome systems paper I can go read where Ian Clarke
> (or someone else) explains how they solved or redefined the hard problems of
> big distributed systems? Or is it the baloney that it appears to be?

See
http://xent.ics.uci.edu/FoRK-archive/april00/0095.html
http://freenet.sourceforge.net/freenet.pdf (Ian's thesis)
http://freenet.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=sect_Documentation

The short answer is that they aren't solving all the problems of big
distributed systems. In particular, they haven't solved naming.
They've done a decent job of solving distributed storage and
publishing, I think, although that's an ivory-tower opinion --- I
haven't actually used the stuff. It looks like it should scale pretty
well, albeit not perfectly.

Perhaps we should refer to Tom 3:16 for the straight shit. Lay it out,
Tom!

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves
possess.
                -- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lord of the Rings"]