[NYT] Jose Cuervo Plans Global Campaign

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 21:35:36 PDT

From below:
> The core ads include one that carries the tag line "All work and no
> play is totally missing the point," uttered by a casually dressed
> blonde woman with a wide, toothy grin; another, featuring six
> apparently delirious men and women, declares "Carpe Cuervo!"

Indeed. I think we should elevate FoRK from a mere "party catalyst" to
a medium of "self-expression"... Vive FoRK!

    http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/15/business/15ADCO.html

Still waiting for Diageo to slurp up the Seagram's beverage division
when Vivendi slurps up the rest of Seagrams...

> [...]
>
> AG Worldwide won the account earlier this year in a competition
> that included Bartle Bogle Hegarty in London, which is 49 percent
> owned by the B Com3 Group; J. Walter Thompson in New York, which is
> part of the WPP Group; and the Leo Burnett Company, Chicago, part
> of B Com3. Its approach, which will be replicated abroad in ads
> that will run over the next couple of years in other big tequila
> markets like Greece, Brazil, Britain and Spain, is to be "more
> sophisticated and more contemporary," Mr. Arnell said.
>
> "We are making it less young," he added, "and going after the 25
> and older market. And we are upscaling it."
>
> The ads -- for which Mr. Arnell himself did the photography --
> feature short, snappy copy alongside pictures of stylish young men
> and women in their 20's who, despite their model good looks, are
> supposed to be "normal, approachable real people," Mr. Arnell said.
> A picture of Cuervo Especial -- known universally to consumers as
> Cuervo Gold -- is also shown, together with the "Vive Cuervo"
> slogan. The core ads include one that carries the tag line "All
> work and no play is totally missing the point," uttered by a
> casually dressed blonde woman with a wide, toothy grin; another,
> featuring six apparently delirious men and women, declares "Carpe
> Cuervo!"
>
> Mr. Arnell concedes that the tequila category "skews male." Still,
> the placement of attractive women in the ads is meant not only to
> draw men's eyes but also to help Cuervo widen its appeal. Where the
> ads run also reflects the diversity of the audience that Cuervo
> wants to reach. The ads, primarily in print for now, will begin
> running next month not only in magazines like Playboy and Maxim but
> also in Cosmopolitan, Entertainment Weekly and People. There are
> also ads focused on the gay market, like one with three men, arms
> around each other's shoulders, that declares "We're here, we're
> Cuervo." That one will appear in Out magazine within a few months,
> Mr. Arnell said.
>
> All of which makes a lot of sense, said Michael Bellas, chairman
> and chief executive of the Beverage Marketing Corporation, a
> research company based in New York.
>
> "Everyone is doing this," he said. "In this economy, everybody is
> trying to move themselves to a premium position, to a sophisticated,
> co-ed social look." That is especially important in the case of
> tequila, he said, because its price -- now generally $15 to $20 a
> bottle -- will probably be going up because of the agave shortage, if
> it already hasn't.
>
> Besides, tequila now accounts for "as much as 20 percent of the
> sales gain" in the liquor industry, he said. To continue that kind
> of increase, the product has to be seen as more than it was in the
> past.
>
> "Today, you want something that is sophisticated, approachable and
> fun," Mr. Bellas said. "If you've got it, then the future is quite

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

More people are using credit cards instead of cash or bank checks, and more card issuers are encouraging that behavior, offering reward points to customers for each dollar charged. Depending on the program, those points can be traded for airline tickets, hotel accommodations, gift certificates or even a Mario Lemieux hockey stick. Last year, nearly 17 percent of all consumer purchases were made with credit cards, according to Credit Card News, which tracks the industry, compared with 10 percent in 1993. -- http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/17/business/17CARD.html