Re: For our next debate...

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 16:47:53 PDT

"B.K. DeLong" wrote:

> At 04:53 PM 09/12/2000 -0400, you wrote:
> >If you had a bad experience with "Christianity" while you were growing
> >up, maybe you were exposed to something that wasn't really Christianity.
> >May I humbly suggest that you give the real thing a try...

Lets see, which flavor would that be? Ever notice that every religion in the
world claims and steadfastly believes that it's "the one true religion" and
that everyone else is wrong?

Funny joke. Setup: I grew up in the Church of Christ, so I have the right to
tell this.

Bunch of people die, go to Heaven, met by St. Peter or whoever at the gate.
Given the tour. Air is filled with birds and song, laughter, etc. All kinds
of fun stuff going on: tennis, great swimming holes, golf courses. The group
comes to this rather bleak looking area, very quiet. He tells the group to be
very quiet. They sneak through the area, past a massive, really drab-looking
cinderblock building. Once they're a good distance away, one of the group
asks Peter "what's up with that?" Peter says "oh, that's the Church of Christ
folks. They think they're the only ones up here."

> Hehehe. I should have qualified my example mentioning that I've been to
> Catholic services that were absolutely beautiful and used to love going to
> church, singing in the choir and attending Sunday School in the Methodist
> church I went to before my parents divorced. I was giving a example of
> "organized religion" gone wrong. ;) Unfortunately, I've only attended
> temple services a few times and never been to Muslim, Hindu, or Mormon
> services....so I have to base my experiences on what I know.

Check out the Bahai, if you just really need to plug that "organized religion"
hole in your non-existant soul. ;-) They're so equal-opportunity it's
mind-blowing.

jb