RE: Privacy vs. psychology.

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 12:15:05 PDT

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Mark Day wrote:

> I also suspect there's some of the same psychology that was involved with
> one of my friends who liked obscure bands. As soon as a band was successful
> in reaching a larger audience, it was a "sell-out". The virtues of
> underdogs were exaggerated, and the failings of the dominant players were
> similarly exaggerated.

Again, it's far easier to sit back and rip on anything that comes into
view. People rip on AOL, but noone stops to think that noone else out
there (and certainly no geek, the very idea!) actually took the trouble
to make the net easy enough for grandma to use. Everyone hates Billy G,
how dare he have so many toys, but worse is he gives the customer what
they want, the nerve! The list goes on.

In the real world, noone likes a geek or their toys, and even the geeks
dont like any geek with more toys. It's human nature to take anything
good and rip it apart and dumb it down until it's total garbage like
everything else, and therefore not a threat. Ya just can't win, so just
enjoy the toys, kick back, and look for something to rip on...

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/