Re: Blind programmers

Joachim Feise (jfeise@ICS.uci.edu)
Mon, 02 Nov 1998 20:49:03 -0800

Rasheed Baqai wrote:

> Perhaps things will go well for those who are "sight-impaired" because in
> this job market, everyone is important.

Did you know that Berkeley Systems (the guys with the Flying Toasters
screensavers) started out with screen readers and screen enhancement products
for the Mac?
It just turned out that the screensaver, a by-product, was more profitable.

There are a couple products on the market, though. I was involved in the
development of one of them: http://www.wynn.arkenstone.org/index.htm

JoeF

Joachim Feise         Ph.D. Student, Information & Computer Science
mailto:jfeise@ics.uci.edu           http://www.ics.uci.edu/~jfeise/
mailto:jfeise@acm.org                         mailto:jfeise@ecs.com
Lest you think that "open" computing can't possibly win, just look
back at the primal lesson of desktop computing of the '80s: Open up
your architecture to all comers and win -- or keep it closed, like
the Macintosh, and lose.