Re: IBM sets new hard disk storage record

CobraBoy! (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 08:16:35 -0800

At 6:06 AM -0800 12/31/97, Jay Thomas wrote:

> For full story, see
> http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=6691783-193
>
> IBM sets new hard disk storage record
>
> IBM confirmed that scientists at its Almaden Research Center have
> developed a hard disk capable of holding 11.6 billion bits of data per
> square inch of disk space. As reported in the Wall Street Journal, the
> 11.6 billion bits of data per square inch is more than double the
> previously highest storage capacity. The new hard disk's capacity was
> demonstrated in a laboratory and puts the company on track to
> providing products with 10-gigabit density by 2001. See full story

what is misleading about this is these nimrod writers aren't saying 10 gig
per platter. IBM will be releasing a 16 gig 3.5" drive around march of next
year (98). since most currrent 3.5" drive contain 7 platters were talking
50+ gigs for under $1K

Tim

--

"The public wants what the public gets, but I don't want what society's got" - Paul Weller

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>