I am *not* writing a book on XML.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 13:59:41 -0800

File under: "write a paper on an emerging technology, get asked to write
an authoritative book on the subject." Similar thing happened after the
security/webs of trust paper, too.

> From: Mary Franz <mfranz@prenhall.com>
> To: adam@cs.caltech.edu
> Cc: mfranz@prenhall.com
> Subject: Book Project
> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 18:25:40 -0500 (EST)
>
> I am looking for someone to author an authoritative book on
> XML and I was wondering if you would be interested in such
> a project?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mary Franz
> Executive Editor
> Prentice Hall Publishers
> (v) 201-236-7111
> (f) 201-236-7123

I think the world already *has* the authoritative book on XML:

http://www.w3journal.com/xml/

as well as the authoritative official site, in progress:

http://www.w3.org/XML/

the authoritative links-to-all-good-things-XML-on-the-Web site:

http://www.sil.org/sgml/xml.html

the authoritative Frequently Asked Questions list:

http://www.ucc.ie/xml/

and the authoritative XML-Developers list jewels:

http://www.vsms.nottingham.ac.uk/vsms/xml/jewels.html

Of course, what the world still needs is an authoritative tutorial on
XML, but I suppose the Richard Light/Simon North/Charles Allen book
_Presenting XML_ will suffice for now.

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

Jeez... you guys spend a few hours whacking on a paper with me, and
suddenly you're world-renown XML experts. Only on the Web...
-- Dan Connolly