NT and Unix Server Siege

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:45:05 -0500 (EST)

Keith Dawson writes:
> I'll echo Greg's question for Tom: do you have any way to find figures
> for the free-Unix-on-Intel phenomenon?

There are other free software phenomena which I'd love to have good
data on. Apache, for instance. It gets a lot of attention as a piece
of successful freeware because the Netcraft survey shows a lot of
commercial users --- but everyone I've ever talked to who claims to be
making money on web servers says they're doing it on intranets, a lot
of which are behind firewalls and inaccessible to the Netcraft
survey. I'm sure that Microsoft and Netscape know (via actual user
surveys) how much Apache is cutting into those markets, but they have
no incentive to tell anybody.

rst