RE: Linux Benchmarks

CobraBoy! (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 08:29:33 -0800

At 5:28 AM -0800 11/3/97, Robert Harley wrote:

> >I wonder if there's room on Merced++ for Alpha emulation, so that VMS can
> >run on Merced???
>
> I doubt it. Merced has already become so bloated that HP has realised
> it will never be possible to fit in 0.25 um, which is why it will have
> to wait for 0.18. Furthermore the design databases have become so
> bloated that 32-bit machines are not capable of doing the design-rule
> checking... they've moved that to Alphas! Or so the rumour-mill sez.
>
> -- Rob.

350 MHz PowerPC Faster Than 600 MHz Alpha!
According to the November issue of BYTE Magazine, a 350
MHz PowerPC 604e (Mach 5) is actually faster than a 600 MHz
Digital Alpha in integer operations. The Alpha did edge out an
advantage in floating-point operations, but the Alpha teamed
optimized the chip for those operations. And, while it true that the
bottlenecks of the Mac OS quickly swallow up any performance
advantage in the real world, it is nonetheless, an incredible feat.
Congratulations are in order for the Somerset team!

Tim

--

Give me back my bullets, put 'em back where they belong. ...Lynard Skynard

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>