RE: Digital 'n Intel

Joe Barrera (joebar@MICROSOFT.com)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:55:20 -0800

This is just the other shoe dropping. Remember, this is the same company
that tossed away Dave Cutler and crew.

Sigh.

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III <joebar@microsoft.com>
<http://research.microsoft.com/~joebar/>
Phone, Office: (415) 778-8227; Cellular: (415) 601-3719; Home: (415)
588-4801
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and do
not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Harley [SMTP:Robert.Harley@inria.fr]
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 1997 3:17 AM
To: fork@xent.ics.uci.edu
Subject: Re: Digital 'n Intel

Jesus, the guys at Digital must be so fucking stupid!

Patent cross licensing: sure, who cares, return to the status
quo.

But selling their fab, not capacity at it, the fab itself, takes
particularly short-sighted bunch of shitheads. They're going to
rely
on Intel as a foundry? It doesn't matter what agreements and
contracts they have, Intel will kill Alpha dead. And quickly.

This is as if during the Cold War one superpower said to the
other:
we'll sell you our nukes at a rock bottom price as long as you
sign a
treaty to rent them back to us in case of World War III.

Fucking dicks.

Extra cash today, generic box shifter tomorrow, rotting corpse
the day after.

-- R.