Re: Darwin Continues Open Source Evolution

From: Justin Mason (jm@jmason.org)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 05:51:41 PST

Kragen Sitaker said:

> In software, the step from nothing to a cool idea is a lot smaller than
> the step from a cool idea to a useful implementation.
> [...]
> Still, there's a lot of value in re-implementing ideas that already
> have an existing, but shitty, implementation. Implementation quality
> matters a lot more than technical innovation in producing useful
> software.

Big, big, big agreement here.

This is also the big problem with software patents -- it's relatively very
easy to come up with text that can be used in a patent embodiment, even if
a working and usable implementation is year away.

--j.

--
Justin Mason       Work:  http://www.netnoteinc.com/ <jm@netnoteinc.com>
                   Personal:      http://jmason.org/     <jm@jmason.org>

"It's true that some sharks get cancer. I said this in my book." -- William Lane, author of _Sharks Don't Get Cancer_