Re: Favor?

From: Linda (joelinda1@home.com)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 04:10:44 PST

Adam Rifkin wrote:

<< Hi Linda,

 Can you go through all the companies mentioned in

    http://www.xent.com/nov99/0412.html

give a one-year update on them (including current market caps)?>>

Sure. Market caps as of your birthday '99 > '00:

> > America Online - $193 billion > $109 billion
> > Yahoo! - $88 billion > $19.5 billion
> > Softbank - $79 billion > $5.4 billion
> > Amazon - $35 billion > $8.3 billion
> > Internet Capital Group - $30 billion > $1.77 billion
> > Akamai - $23 billion > $3.6 billion
> > eBay - $21 billion > $10.2 billion
> > Red Hat - $20 billion > $0.9 billion
> > CMGi - $19 billion > $3.8 billion
> > Apple - $17 billion > $5.1 billion
> > CommerceOne - $10 billion > $7.8 billion
> > Network Solutions - $8 billion > acquired by Verisign
> > Microsoft - $479 billion > $289 billion
> > General Electric - $471 billion > $548 billion
> > Cisco - $325 billion > $368 billion
> > Intel - $245 billion > $226 billion
> > Nokia - $208 billion > $235 billion
> > Qualcomm - $65 billion > $71.8 billion

<< The most interesting recent obsessions are wireless and Linux. >>

Some wireless plays are still hot this year. Research in Motion
has a current market cap of 6.8 billion, giving it a
trailing P/E of 1188.

<<PUMA is up 3200% this year on Bluetooth's promise
and MCOM is up 2500% this year on Ricochet's promise >>

...and both are way down this year, each 92% below their
all-time-high...

<< Sheesh. Then again, LEAF is up 2000% this year because they turned
themselves into an XML company >>

...and then acquired by Broadvision, which is now down 75% from its
high as investors fret over newer competition from the likes of
Art Technology Group and Vignette...

<< and KIDE is up 1500% this year thanks to Pokemon >>

...and now down 90% from its high of last fall. Even Hasbro warned of
dwindling sales of Pokemon merchandise as a cause for its earnings
shortfall. A move from listing on Nasdaq to the NYSE hasn't helped
4Kids' slide.

<< And Linux? Ugh. Perle Systems is worth 6 times what it began this
week being worth. Corel and Red Hat have both been 20-baggers this
summer, and VA Linux priced today at 30 -- that's triple the original
offer price -- but OPENED 1000% higher at 320 before settling down
to 250. This is what happens when no one wants to sell; demand sends
the price through the roof. VA Linux a $10 billion company? Sure,
why not. While I'm at it let me pick up some Sun and Oracle shares
since their PE's are "only" 100...>>

Thanks to an earnings warning, VA Linux slid from an opening
day high of 320 to its current price of just over 8. Corel has fared
similarly: last December at 44, now at just over 2.

<< It's hard to look at the stock market and be inspired anymore.>>

Well, there still are some unbelievable stocks out there.
The best performing IPO of 2000, to date?

Krispy Kreme, with a 233% gain from offering price :)

Linda