Re: Winders software that you can't live without

From: John Klassa (klassa@cisco.com)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 15:28:59 PST

  Joseph> We use Exceed where we work. Is StarNet better? Why?

Don't know, but have you tried VNC? I prefer it over just about every
other remote-X-display solution, in large part because it's stateless.
That is, at work, I can hook my laptop up to my already-running X display
on a Unix machine, and pick right up where I left off the day before. At
home, if I want to check on something I left running at work, I just bring
up the same display and everything is as I left it.

With my new laptop, I also got an M$ optical mouse with a large thumb
button. With it mapped to "Minimize", I can run VNC in full-screen mode
(in which I can't tell the difference between sitting in front of a native
Unix box and my VNC'd view of one) and simply hit the thumb button to take
myself out to Windows. It's sweet.

Anyway, I figure you've probably used VNC, but I wanted to plug it again
anyway. :-)

John