Re: Redtooth

From: Gordon Mohr (gojomo@usa.net)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 18:36:10 PST

> Screw star trek; we now have a mechanism for transporting
> something that can be converted into energy over
> wireless airways. From the article, it says:
>
> the phaser-like device uses two beams of UV
> radiation to ionize paths in the air along which
> electrical current is conducted to and from the target.
> In effect, the beams create wires through
> the atmosphere wherever they are pointed.
>
> Redtooth here we come! Finally, we can get rid of those
> annoying power cables. I hope those guys figure out a way
> to make billions.

Except now instead of tripping over your insulated power
cords, you become paralyzed when passing through your power
lines-of-sight!

I wonder if this technique could scale up as a way for
solar power satellites to beam electricity to terrestial
switching stations.

Or generally, to direct electricity from satellites to
ground targets for consructive or destructive purposes.

- Gordon