Comic Sans (was: RE: FORK Grant Applications (fwd)

From: Lisa Dusseault (lisa@xythos.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 15:22:00 PST

From humble beginnings... AFAIK, "Comic Sans" was invented at MS by the
"Comic Chat" team. I'm not certain, but I believe that when I installed CC
was the first time I installed Comic Sans, and thereafter it was available
to me for general use, e.g. in Word documents. I think I even published a
white paper about chat using Comic Sans as a title font.

The font was used in CC in the dialogs in the comic-strip-style chat room
conversations that the client displayed. Apparently no existing font was
comicky enough to look right in the speech balloons that appeared above the
heads of characters.

If you've never seen CC, it had a library of characters with names. When
you entered a chat room, your CC client told the room what character it was
using. Then other people's clients would insert your character's graphics
into the comic-strip box whenever you said something, choosing appropriate
expressions if your comment ended with ! or ? or ..., or if you said
"hello", or "bye", or if you had the word "sad" (I think). Or you could go
to the trouble of picking your facial expression, and your CC client would
tell the room what expression to display for your character. The added chat
room traffic was very minimal, and usually not disturbing even to those with
text mode.

It was pure genius the way it managed to arrange the heads/bodies of these
characters in a frame along with their text balloons, in a seamless way that
looked stylish and appropriately comic-booky. E.g. it automatically made
characters face each other when they responded to each other (though of
course it couldn't tell if the response was part of a parallel
conversation).

I loved comic chat, although it never got much respect, I felt it was a much
friendlier chat environment than your standard text-based one. But like all
chat technology, it had a big respectability barrier to overcome. Despite
that, its font will live forever :)

Lisa