RE: Engineering notebooks?

From: Jeff Barr (jeff@vertexdev.com)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 11:08:53 PST

What I do is to keep a file called "Worklog.txt" for each project
that I undertake. I put notes into this file each day. Sometimes
a little, sometimes a lot. I also keep a record of my time for
billing purposes, and I also keep per-project to-do lists in there.

Some days (like yesterday) I will spend lots of time finding,
installing, and configuring random software packages. I dump the
URLs, command lines, config info and so forth into the file. Later,
when I need to write up a status report or something, I have a decent
record of what I did. The file is also good when I need to
quickly re-establish my context on a project -- I've had dormant
projects suddenly awaken after 6-12 months. I can quickly depersist
the file into my brain to get going again.

Regarding paper notes, I contend that the act of writing the notes
is what creates the memory, at least for me. I take notes but
hardly ever refer to them. But they do help me to focus on the
subject as I am taking them.

Jeff;