RE: "New Age Racists"?

From: Zhang, Yangkun (Yangkun.Zhang@FMR.COM)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 07:43:43 PST

>keep their salaries higher and to keep other people down. But how many of
>the 50,000 WTO protesters do you really think fall into that category? For
>the majority of them, the well-intentioned ones who think their policies

Matt, I most respectfully disagree with you here. Plenty of these WTO
protesters are union guys, and historically, they've not been the most PC
group. Case in point, Vincent Chin was killed on June 19, 1982 in Detroit
while being taunted as a "fucking Jap" who took away American jobs. The
crime was economically motivated; the two autoworkers blamed the Japanese -
and, mistakenly, Chin - for the ailing U.S. auto industry and the
consequential loss of jobs. And it was horribly violent; the use of a
baseball bat as a murder weapon. Both men (Ebens and Nitz) who committed the
crime were charged with and pleaded guilty to manslaughter. For this, they
each received a sentence of three years probation and a $3,000 fine but
neither served any time as the sentence was over-turned on a technicality.

While no doubt a portion of these protestors may have well meaning, a
significant portion of those same protestors are AFL-CIO members or other
union members. The unions have in my opinion, been historically very
xenophobic and not very progressive. Lest you forget, these union members
were happily brutalizing anti-war protestors during the Vietnam era.

It just sickens me that self-proclaimed progressives would tangle themselves
with the AFL-CIO et all. That makes them no better in my book.