FC: More on what Yahoo ruling in France means to businesses

From: karee (karee@tstonramp.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 10:46:17 PST

[This sets an interesting trend as far as jurisdiction goes. -bb]

[I've talked about this at some recent conferences: If this is a trend
that
continues, or broadens, it will leave globe-spanning corporations like
Yahoo at a competitive disadvantage. Since they have physical presence
and
assets in France, they can't afford to ignore a court order. But a
smaller,
more specialized site that's in only one nation can thumb its nose at
censorhappy foreign officials. In fact, back in 1995-1996, I mirrored on
 my
web site material that was illegal in France, Germany, and Zambia, among

others. No repercussions yet. --Declan]

*********

>From: "Jones, Greg" <greg.jones@qci.net>
>To: "'declan@well.com'" <declan@well.com>
>Subject: RE: What Yahoo ruling in France means, from Silicon Alley
Daily
>Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:54:37 -0500
>
>The implications of this ruling are pretty staggering.
>
>The ruling gives an American company the responsibility for the actions
 of
>French citizens in accessing material that is proscribed there, but not

>here. If a book store in New York sells a French national a copy of
Mein
>Kampf, and that foreign citizen takes the book back to France, won't
this
>ruling be applicable in making the book seller guilty of violating the
>French law forbidding racist speech? Or more aptly, won't this ruling
>potentially make the landlord of the bookstore guilty of the violation,

>since Yahoo may only be the access to the material, and not it's actual

>retail source.
>
>The most disturbing element of this ruling, to me, is the assignment of

>guilt, of illegality, to Yahoo in the United States for the behavior of

>French nationals in France. Isn't this a contravention of
international law
>in that it attempts to override the sovereignity of American law within
 our
>own borders? Judge Jean-Jacques Gomez' jurisdiction must be limited to

>ruling against any French nationals who are violating their own laws
by
>seeking to acquire material that is proscribed there.
>
>By reducio ad absurdum argument, in order to comply with this ruling,
we
>must deport and forever bar any French national from entering the
United

*********

*********

>Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:04:25 -0800
>From: "Maurice Tate" <TATEM@hdcdojnet.state.ca.us>
>To: <declan@well.com>
>Subject: Re: FC: What Yahoo ruling in France means, from Silicon Alley
> Daily
>

>A couple of thoughts:
>-------
>BB:"[These] kinds of decisions, rulings, can be interpreted as the
>beginning of an ID card on the Web, possibly to identify people
>wherever they are and to create a new kind of identification on the
>Internet. And that is something that can be very disturbing in the
>long run.
>
>"Even now, there is a cultural shock between Europeans and Americans
>on freedom of speech. In France we do have rules, regulations and laws
>that prevent such kind of content to be distributed on the Internet.
>-------
>Fine, Professor. But why should I, as an American, care what laws
France
>has, or why they have them? They *do not apply to me*. I am not in
France,

*********

*********