[Fwd: RE: [decentralization] What is p2p? (long)]

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endtech.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 08:15:12 PST

Todd Boyle posted this to decentralization, so I would apologize
for reposting it on FoRK except for the fact that the Nokia Rooftop
project for building Mesh networks is really cool. It seems like a commercial
deployment of the Consume.net project starting out in a variety of cities
(and discussed previously also). [2] The Nokia whitepaper talks about their
Nokia AIR operating systems and the requirements they chose to highlight.
This includes ad hoc node deployment, network adaptation including changes
in link quality and automatic network topology configuration. They use a
spread spectrum with node authorization, although the paper doesn't mention
who and how it takes place. Likewise, with data encryption.

The best part, a call for neighbor management protocols. The also
mention that they allow network syncrhonization through a fully distributed
algorithm that eliminates the need for a master clock.

Greg

[1] http://www.nwr.nokia.com/rooftop/
[2] http://www.consume.net/