Re: "Media bias": NBC Memo re: Bush speech

From: Jay Thomas (jay@thomas.vg)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 19:14:00 PST

In light of the topic, this seemed timely. Again, maybe there is no left
bias, but it certainly seems that way, when one side continually gets
better treatment, more air time, etc.

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX TUE NOV 28, 2000 21:04:29 ET XXXXX

REVEALED: NBC ORDERED AFFILIATES NOT TO CARRY BUSH SPEECH IN MEMO

The DRUDGE REPORT has obtained a written order issued by NBC to all of
its broadcast affiliates
which directed stations not to carry George W. Bush's speech --
delivered just hours after
certification of the Florida Election results!

MORE

NBC ordered affiliates not to interrupt entertainment programming for
Bush, the document shows.

The order caused complete controversy inside of NBC, the DRUDGE REPORT
has learned. Less than 24
hours later, NBC did break into its prime time entertainment programming
for a speech by AL Gore.

"We blew it on Sunday night," said one senior NBC NEWS source in
Washington. "We will not make
that mistake again... sure, the perception is we favor Gore, we carried
his speech, but not
Governor Bush's speech. This was not a decision from NBC NEWS. This came
from the network
president. TITANIC cost a pretty penny, the feeling was that carrying
Bush would distract from the
impact of the movie."

NBC NEWS CHANNEL ADVISORY

---------ADVISORY----------ADVISORY----------ADVISORY------

Attn ALL stns:

(as of 9:19pm ET, 11/26)

Re: Bush statement anticipated between apx 9:30 - 10pm ET........

East, Centrl & Mtn stns:

will receive covg. w/in yr feed of Titanic ----- Stay there, do NOT
fluke, ....you will be
updated.....possibly on short tape delay.

Pac stns: must fluke (prior to 7pm PT) to K-2, trans 15 for MSNBC
logo-less feed
-----animation/graphic. (Coordinates/conditions likely to change
post-7pm PT.)

Continue to monitor SkyRock and fluke terminals.

NBC NEWS WASHINGTON: 202- 885-4200

NBC NEWS CHANNEL ADVISORY

---------ADVISORY----------ADVISORY----------ADVISORY------

We expect certification of the Florida Election results sometime after
7:20 pm EST in Tallahassee.

If you are taking Nightly News at that time, you'll receive the
certification ceremony as part of
Nightly News.

If you are carrying the movie Titanic, please do NOT dump out of the
movie, you will get an update
from NBC News as part of the show later.

If you are not in Titanic or Nightly News, you can tune in to K2-15 for
an optional anchored
special report with Tom Brokaw.

News Channel is offering a separate clean feed of the ceremony no K2-16A
for your use.

* * *

Developing...

Filed By Matt Drudge
Reports are moved when circumstances warrant
http://www.drudgereport.com for updates
(c)DRUDGE REPORT 2000
Not for reproduction without permission of the author

--
"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those
with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig"