RE: Stick a FoRK in some beef rendang

From: Meltsner, Kenneth (Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 20:01:50 PST

Penzey's (www.penzeys.com) is the ultimate spice dealer, and local for those of us in Milwaukee or Madison.
e.g.

Galangal
A close relative of ginger, galangal is an important and popular ingredient in the foods of Indonesia and Southeast Asia, especially in Thailand. Ground Galangal (formerly called Laos powder) is easier to work with than whole Galangal and is commonly called for in recipes. The flavor is similar to ginger, but more flowery and intense. Use small amounts when starting out. Its flavor combines with ginger and lemon grass in Thai cooking, and with white pepper and/or cayenne for seasoning fish, meat or poultry. From Thailand.

Look for Ground Thai Galangal Root
Ken