Re: leftist bullies

From: Rahul Dave (rahul@reno.cis.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 12:03:46 PST

I got this from you:

> > Minorities dont usually vote republican, I am guessing, for good reasons.
> They
> > dont trust them. There is a history of voting against civil rights for
> > minorities, against immigration reform, etc
>
> It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with economics. I
> remembering flipping through the election results on voter.com a few weeks
> ago--blacks and Hispanics do vote for the democratic ticket, but Asians
> voted 50/50 for Democrats vs. Republicans--just like whites in this country.
> Does this mean that Asians are a "lesser" minority? I doubt it. I suspect
> that it has something to do with the fact that the median Asian income in
> this country is slightly higher than the median white income.
I'm ethnically asian too, and I dont believe that all Asian groups vote
democrat and republican equally. For example, folks with origins on the
Indian sub-continent do tend to vote more democratic than republican ,
though not as much as blacks or hispanics.

Definitely, income has something to do with it...

A politically active friend of mine told me( he's Chinese),
that there is a deliberate policy amongst some asians of voting
50-50, (not sure how, maybe a family deliberately split votes?)
so that whoever comes to power will not back legislation against
the minority.

> However, it could also be that Asians simply don't buy the Democratic claim
> that "minorities" somehow are handicapped by society and need "help" in the
> form of further governmental interference. Frankly, I don't think the left
> in this country think Asians are a minority group. When you hear about
> minorities does poorly in school et all, the left always refer to blacks and
> Hispanics. We simply do not count as a minority group. But I digress--I'm
> grinding my old axe again...

I have this gut feeling (based only on conversations with people of
Chinese and Indian origins) that one may find the
following amongst asians..just immigrated and first generation immigrants
are more likely to vote democratic than second and further generations.
Any thoughts?
Rahul