Re: confederacy of dunces*

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 11:39:44 PST

> > These days Racism in this country is a boogeyman that, statistically
> > speaking, does not exist. Ask yourself, how many real racists do you know?
> > How many have you ever met? What color were they?
> Or ask if you have ever faced it yourself, one way or the other? Racism isnt
> so overt today, its subtle, but its there. And its there amongst all ethnic
> groups.

Interestingly, most of the racists I've ever met were California natives who I met
while living in the Bay Area! There's a certain amount of prejudice in Texas,
certainly in the more rural parts, but it's usually just isolated bunches of hicks
and they're so in-your-face about it that it's laughable. OTOH, I've never seen the
kind of pervasive, subtle, low-key, but very real racism here that I saw out in
sunny CA. It's one of the reasons I left; I hated the hypocrisy of dealing with
folks that were soooo careful about being PC, and yet soooo race conscious and
judgemental.

$0.02,

jb