Re: [April 1999] Roy Fielding on Al Gore's "geeky blunders"

From: Matt Jensen (mattj@newsblip.com)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 17:46:58 PST

I'll grant you that Gore's site running on Windows while the site
advocates open source software is probably a gaffe. But...

> "Applying the term [open source] to the content of a Web site
> is sort of silly," [Kosut] said.

Open source content (as opposed to code) exists in many projects[1], and
there were already a couple of open source books at the time of this Gore
article (that is, the books' contents were maintained as open source).[2]

So while Gore couldn't (and didn't) claim to invent open source content,
for a politician he seems to have been ahead of the curve again. What is
the difference between submitting book suggestions to O'Reilly and
submitting site suggestions to Gore2000.com? You're at the mercy of the
benevolent dictators, just as you are with the Linux project, but so what?
Gore promised to consider input, and the results (static HTML pages) are
available to all.

Sure, someone could have held Gore's feet to the fire and asked what
license covers the content, whether they can use his GIFs in
GoreSucks2000.com, etc., but it looks like nobody ever asked him that. I
think he's proud enough of his technical experience that he would have
attempted a serious answer.

-Matt Jensen
 NewsBlip.com
 Seattle

[p.s. - I think the "Open Source" trademark has been abandoned[3], since
March of 1999, please correct me if you know otherwise.]

[1] http://sourceforge.net/ , e.g. the SourceForge docs themselves.
[2] http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/ ,
http://www.linuxatlax.org/archives/private/lilax/1999-June/000158.html
[3] http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=8t2ni7.2.19