Re: nader traitors

From: Matt Jensen (mattj@newsblip.com)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 16:09:01 PST

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, David Crook wrote:

> Face it, Matt. You are the reason that the two main parties are letting
> dead wood like Bush and Gore run for the highest office in the land. They
> know that deep down, most Americans are too cowardly to do anything but
> reflexively vote for their party's candidate ...

98% of American voters picked someone other than Nader. How many of them
did this because they were "too cowardly"? I think it's generous to say
5% of them.

The rest of the vast majority of voters, including mainstream Democrats,
just didn't prefer Nader. And that's true even in the polls that asked
"who do you personally prefer, irrespective of who you think will win?"
Nader never got above about 8% there, AFAIK. Until his supporters can
make more voters prefer him, your argument is a smokescreen for his low
support.

> If Bore can't convice someone to vote for him, he doesn't get their
> vote. Period.

Agreed. And if Nader can't convince someone to vote for them, then Nader
doesn't get their vote. Your energy may be better spent finding out why
the majority didn't prefer Nader than in second-guessing their secret
motives for voting for Gore. Can he appeal to a broader audience without
feeling dirty? That's his challenge.

-Matt Jensen
 NewsBlip
 Seattle