'Doris Day' Petition (was Public vs private healthcare)

From: Linda (joelinda1@home.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2000 - 23:08:07 PST

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

  Now Stockwell Day, the leader of the
> Alliance party, the party that sprang from our West recently, is being
> smeared by other parties for "destroying" socialized medicine.

Speaking of Stockwell Day, did you see this?

"We demand that the government of Canada force Stockwell Day to change
his first name to Doris"

http://www.22minutes.com/

If the Alliance party actually won and implemented their party platform,
there are now enough signatures on this petition to allow for a national
vote :)

Linda

http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2000/11/17/bc_dorisday001116

'Doris Day' petition hits the mark

WebPosted Nov 17 2000 4:34 PM EST

VANCOUVER - The CBC television show, "This Hour has 22 Minutes" now has
more than enough signatures for its petition campaign to have Canadian
Alliance leader Stockwell Day change his name to Doris Day.

The show is using the Alliance referendum formula, that would allow a
national vote on any issue, if three per cent of the electorate, or
about 350,000 people, signed a petition.

So far, more than 370,000 people have signed the petition to have Day
change his name.

The Alliance leader was asked about the show's campaign while he was
electioneering in Vancouver. "I think 22 Minutes is a great show, and
I think it's incredible," he says,"and all I can say is a name change
is que sera sera."

Comedian Rick Mercer says he started the petition, because he wanted to
show that any idiot could trigger a referendum.