Re: [Re: [CNN] Bush 2,909,465; Gore 2,907,722.]

From: Tony Finch (dot@dotat.at)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 22:40:29 PST

Sophie Maddox <sophiemad@usa.net> wrote:

>The government takes 6% of our salary just as it does for
>social security to insure by the time we get to 65 that we will be
>covered.

In the UK National Insurance is 10% of your salary less a certain
threshold. If you earn more than about $40K per annum you don't have
to pay any more. That nominally covers unemployment benefit, state
pension, and NHS, but AFAICT it seems to be lumped in with other
revenue and is quite hard to distinguish from income tax despite what
the forms say.

>It isn't welfare. By the time we get to 65 who knows if there
>will even be social security.

Yep! The state pension in the UK is worthless.

Tony.

--
f.a.n.finch     dot@dotat.at     fanf@covalent.net     Chad for President!