Re: What a weird situation

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 17:05:22 PST

Yangkun Zhang quotes Ed Glaeser:
> Even if hand counting is more accurate than machine counting, there
> is a clear bias introduced because Al Gore chose which counties to hand
> count.

Actually, it wasn't just Gore, or even Gore's party. Either party has
the right to request recounts. Both political parties chose which
counties to hand count.

As it turns out, the irregularities --- accidental and intentional ---
that prompted the current recounts weighed against the Democrats, not
the Republicans. If the Republicans thought there were voting
irregularities that suggested Democratic bias, they would have
requested recounts too --- just as they did in Illinois in 1960 for
Nixon's election.

> More generally, one of the principal lessons of macroeconomics is
> that rules generally work better than discretion.

Oh, obviously. That's why we humans have all been obsoleted by
intelligent computer programs, why rule-driven bureaucracy
is so much more efficient than discretion-driven markets, and
why widespread mandatory minimum sentencing has resulted in a much
fairer criminal-justice system.

I mean, geez, did this author leave his brain at home? Or does he just
expect his readers to?

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves
possess.
                -- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lord of the Rings"]