Re: "Iconoclastic"? - stupid web tricks...

From: Erik F. Kastner (efk@trustypocket.com)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 19:06:15 PST

heres what I use when I don't know a word (IE 4+ only)
make a file in

%windir%\web

named
"wordsearch.htm" or some such.

into this file put this type thing
--------------------------------------
<HTML>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" defer>
var parentwin = external.menuArguments;
var doc = parentwin.document;
var sel = doc.selection;
var rng = sel.createRange();
var str = new String(rng.text);
var op = new String
("http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va="+ str);

if (str=="")
 alert ("You must select some text to search for first.");
else
 open(op);

</SCRIPT>
</HTML>

then in the registry, insert the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\Word Loo&kup

(the last part you can change)

with these:
(Default) REG_SZ Data:%windir%\webs\wordsearch.htm
contexts REG_BINARY 10

then just highlight, and right click on a word you don't know, go to "Word
Lookup" and viola!