Re: [Standard and WSJ] Transmeta: Et Tu, IBM?

From: Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 07:58:11 PPET

Linda wrote:
>Transmeta's big-gun partner IBM cancelled a
>joint project just a few days before Transmeta's IPO.
>[...]
>International Business Machines Corp. canceled plans to use a
>Transmeta chip in a new Thinkpad laptop [...]

From LinuxToday:

Compaq Cans Transmeta Box

  "Compaq US won't be going with the Transmeta chip like it was supposed
  to according to highly placed sources [...]

  "If the report proves true, as we suspect it will, Compaq US will be
  Transmeta's second major American loss in the last few days and quite
  frankly the news couldn't come at a worse time...."

The other articles surmised that "Intel put the squeeze on IBM" but
this one suggests that there is no need to explain by malice what can
be amply explained by crappiness of product:

  "A Compaq source says the Crusoe chip, which has reportedly been
  evaluated by both Compaq's commercial and consumer groups, 'meets
  neither performance or power promises [...]

Not even remotely surprising, methinks.

More blurb at:

  http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-11-07-003-21-NW-BZ

L8R D00D5,