EETimes: Developers pitch RFID system as bar code replacement

From: Dan Brickley (Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 03:24:31 PPET

I guess it's frowned upon to FoRK things that have just featured on
slashdot, but in this case it hooks into a thread we had back in
April/May about exactly the same application.

http://xent.ics.uci.edu/FoRK-archive/april00/0421.html [[
  ...this reminds me of another someday gadget that I'm determined not
 to forget (because I really need it to exist!):

  Long story short. I want a way not only of uniquely IDing all the junk
  (papers, books, CDs, videos etc) lying around home and office, but of
  finding the damn things when I want them. That means putting them down
  anywhere, then asking my local Web where I left them. I know how to do
  the metadata part, that's the easy bit. But the hardware side of it...
]] + various useful followups...

more recently:

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20001102S0031 [[

  PARK RIDGE, Ill. - International Paper Co. and Motorola Inc. are
  ready to roll out a technology that could transform the
  manufacturing supply chain and ultimately eliminate the venerable
  bar code as a means of identifying products.

  The "electronic tag" technology, which will be demonstrated in
  Chicago next week at Pack Expo International 2000, could bring
  automated identification to low-cost, disposable products ranging
 from lipstick boxes to breakfast cereal containers. The technology
 is expected to hit the market at the end of this year
 ]]

Any Forkers attending Pack Expo International
2000? (http://www.packexpo.com/pei2000/ - "PACK EXPO International 2000
will co-locate with the International Exposition for Food Processors
(IEFP)" :-)

Oh nearly forgot, URL for the /. discussions, which focus on the
privacy/paranoia angle. http://slashdot.org/articles/00/11/03/188230.shtml
I did find this c/o slashdot though: a handy 'how stuff works' article
on this technology applied to anti-shoplifting,
http://www.howstuffworks.com/anti-shoplifting-device.htm?printable=1

danbri