Re: Check out VotePledge.org

From: Manoj Kasichainula (manoj@io.com)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 14:00:24 PPET

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 10:15:53AM -0600, Lorin Rivers wrote:
> Besides the award, this is really important work. By not voting, we get
> exactly what we deserve -- politicians elected by special interests rather
> than people.

I've heard this statement a bunch of times, and take issue with it for
many reasons.

Other than those of the corporate variety, special interests are just
bundles of voters. The NRA is a special interest, but so are
Greenpeace and the EFF. "Special interests" are not all bad
things.

Also, why does having 80% of the people vote for mostly rotten choices
result in anything better than 40% of the people doing the same?