RE: What is Possum Stew? (Atlantic Monthly accuracy)

From: Lisa Dusseault (lisa@xythos.com)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 09:30:19 PDT

Thanks for your posting John, it's good to hear that. However, much as I
respect publications which do fact-checking, the results are notoriously
awful. Even with straightforward names, dates etc. mistakes routinely crop
up.

The worst cases in my opinion come in fields such as economics, where
everybody thinks they understand the field through their own experience and
a little common sense. Serious magazines which otherwise engage in proper
fact-checking, quote-checking, etc. often publish economic crap.

One problem is that you can check your quote's accuracy, but if it comes
from a quack economist (or doctor, or computer scientist) the science will
be wrong anyway.

Another problem is that people agree with statements like "Lower wages in
Mexico mean that free trade between Mexico and USA will cause Americans to
be worse off overall." It sounds logical, but it just isn't true, and can
be proven to be false -- but journalists and regular people don't typically
know that. A normal self-respecting news publication would never state as
fact the phlogiston theory of what makes fire burn, but they will continue
to publish statements like these which economists know are provably false.

Lisa