Mr. Rifkin to United Airlines: the missed opportunities were conscious, trust me...

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 14:45:00 PDT

Anyone else get a desperate email from United begging you to
start using their airline again?

I'm not sure if the quality of United's service has gone down
this year, or if I'm just projecting because I had some really
bad experiences this year.

> From ual8@Mileageplus.com Mon Oct 23 16:19:23 2000
> Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:18:48 -0500
> To: "Mr. Rifkin" <Adam@KnowNow.Com>
> From: "United Airlines Mileage Plus" <ual8@Mileageplus.com>
> Subject: Premier Status Update

> TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOYALTY, HERE ARE LOWER PREMIER
> REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS YEAR ONLY.

> Dear Mr. Rifkin:

> Your travel on United is deeply appreciated, and we'd like
> to see you reach the level of recognition and reward in the
> Mileage Plus(R) program you deserve.

> We're concerned that you may have come close to meeting
> the standard flight requirements for a Premier(R)
> membership but are short of the goal due to travel
> opportunities you missed through no fault of your own.
> That's why we are reducing the criteria for Premier 2001
> status.

> Here are the new, lower levels you need to reach before
> December 31, 2000.

> FOR 1K(R) STATUS:
> 84,000 paid flight miles or 90 paid segments instead of
> 100,000 miles or 100 segments

> FOR PREMIER EXECUTIVE(R) STATUS:
> 42,000 paid flight miles or 54 paid segments instead of
> 50,000 miles or 60 segments

> FOR PREMIER STATUS:
> 21,000 paid flight miles or 27 paid segments instead of
> 25,000 miles or 30 segments

> Please note that this reduction in Premier flight
> requirements applies to achieving 2001 status only. Your
> 2001 status will be based on the qualifying miles or
> segments flown in 2000, and will be effective on
> January 1, 2001. While we could lower the requirements
> even more for our loyal customers, we will not dilute the
> value of Premier status. If we were to further lower the
> 2001 threshold, the benefits would not be as rich, and
> privileges, such as Priority Boarding, would lose their
> meaning. To reward the majority who have stood by United
> this year, we want to make sure our Premier program for
> 2001 remains one of the most rewarding ever.

> You will receive the appropriate Premier membership kit
> and card in February 2001.

> As previously announced, our most loyal customers will
> receive an extra reward. Premier members will receive an
> ADDITIONAL 25% bonus and Premier Executive or 1K members
> an ADDITIONAL 100% bonus retroactively for United-operated
> flights flown between May 1 and December 31, 2000. This
> extra bonus will be based on your status on
> December 31, 2000, under the standard criteria
> (not the reduced criteria above). For example, if you
> are currently a Premier member, to qualify for the 100%
> bonus, you will need 50,000 miles or 60 segments by
> December 31, 2000. These bonus miles will be credited to
> your account in January 2001. (MPG 210)

> We look forward to serving you again soon. Thank you for
> continuing to choose United for your travels.

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

All the little-boy fantasies of the Powerful Internet don't mean two beans when an officially sanctioned thug turns the switch from 1 to 0 on your POP. It'll happen. Just watch. -- A Cyberspace Independence Refutation, M. Strata Rose, 1996, http://www.virtual.net/Personal/Strata/TextFlow/early90s/Refutation