Re: WWDTM for today round one

From: Tony Finch (dot@dotat.at)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 11:25:58 PDT

"Joseph S. Barrera III" <joe@barrera.org> wrote:
>> What is it.
>
>It's the original Transputer chip
>[ or Z8000 ]
>[ or 6809 ]
>
>, which is still the best chip/architecture ever developed by man,
>and it's a crime against humanity that anyone uses Intel.

Hmm, I think the transputer is just screwy rather than beautiful.

The closest they got to IBM's POWER4 was the T9000, except that POWER4
seems to be a success wheras the T9 was a disaster. But the T9 was
huge (200mm^2) had multiple processor cores (well, not really -- an
integer core, a floating point core, and a serial communications
processor), four independent memory banks that could be reconfigured
as cache or "normal" memory, and high-speed serial links that were the
basis of FireWire's signalling technology.

IMO the best architecture is the ARM.

Tony.

--
en oeccget g mtcaa    f.a.n.finch