Re: Googol > Avogadro, when it comes to Allband Awareness

From: Matt Jensen (mattj@newsblip.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 22:32:46 PDT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Rohit Khare wrote:

> ``We love companies that have a bigger vision and Avogadro's number
> was about the biggest number we could find,'' Reardon laughed.

Googol/Google is taken, so the abogados like Avogadro's, eh? I think
there are a number of Mersenne primes (up to 2tothe6972593-1.com so far)
that are much larger than a googol.

And according to an old number theory book[1] on my shelf, the 1,945th
Fermat number is roughly 10^600 times larger than a googol. F1945.com is
probably still available. The largest Fermat number as of last year[2] is
a hefty F382447, but as a domain name it would score low on recall.

To have an easy-to-remember domain, it would be great to bribe someone and
get S.com, after Skewes' number (S), developed for estimates of prime
numbers[3]. S = e^e^e^79, or about 10^10^10^34.

-Matt

[1] - Ogilvy & Anderson, Excursions in Number Theory, 1966, Dover Press.
[2] - http://vamri.xray.ufl.edu/proths/fermat.html#Larger
[3] - Ogilvy & Anderson, 1966.