Re: [FoRK Classic] Man, we needed EditThisPage & Newsblogger in 1995...

From: Matt Jensen (mattj@newsblip.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 15:54:19 PDT

Half of 500 MM users are in the USA?

The current USA population is around 275 million[1]. The statistic I read
on the plane today (sorry, I forget the source) is that 30% of all USA
households claim to have "some" access to the Internet[2]. Even if
everyone in those homes is an Internet user (for example, all of
the two-year-olds in the country are going to teletubbies.com), the total
is at most 90 million. People in the USA who actually use the Web (as
opposed to email) at least once a month? My guess is 30 to 40 million.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Tony Berkman wrote:

> No, that is just the universe measured by Media Metrix. 500 MM is closer
> to the actual count, about half of which are in the USA.
>
> At 07:40 PM 10/17/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> >I think Media Metrix says there are ~ 80MM web surfers.

[1] - http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html
[2] - It goes up to 70% in households with an income twice the median
income.