Re: The Armageddon Rag

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 11:51:25 PDT

Eugene Leitl wrote:

> (Remember, all
> it takes is a fertile couple (or a female with frozen sperm, or a
> cloning kit) stashed away somewhere to get the whole monkey show
> restarted).

Well, not exactly, there's the whole minimum seed population necessary to have
viable genetic diversity, but then you know that.

> We humans are much, much harder to kill than any other species:

Roaches. Maximum grossiverminitude seems to trump even high technology. ;-)

> Given enough technology, we will
> eventually sustainably live in space, ultimatively evolving (with a
> rational design twist) to natively live in deep space.

True, true.

> Anything powerful enough to kill us under current circumstances will
> essentially sterilize the whole ball of dirt.

Nah, I think aforementioned big rock could do the job for us nicely but would
probably leave the freakin' roaches.

> It has to be malignant AI, or an ecovorous molecular
> omniphage self-rep weapon.

Go Eli!

;-)

jb